Dairy or/and meat sheep: Dairy and meat
Source of information: Bibliography and technical Services
Level of solution: Practical
Aim: To have trained human resources available on farm for the lambings.
- What is implemented;
Training activities about specific needs and potential risks during the lambings.
- How is implemented;
Specific training on:
- feeding requirements and management of sheep prior to lambing;
- Recognition of the signs of an imminent lambing, possible presentations of the lambs at birth, and procedures to follow.
- Identification of toxemia, mastitis and hypocalcemia.
- Management of newborn lambs, feeding with a suitable amount of colostrum, disinfection of the umbilical cord.
- Recording technical data, lambings, number of lambs born, lamb mortality…
- Designate a trained member of the staff as responsible for the group.
- When is it implemented.
Update of knowledge of all the personnel at least 1 month before the start of the lambings.
To improve the care of sheep and lambs around lambing, and to decrease lamb mortality.
Prerequisites and/or limits (knowledge, training, capabilities, cost, management, facilities, equipment, etc.)
- Availability of trainers or ad hoc material (templates, etc.)
Tips & Tricks:
- Blackboard for lambing pens
- Preserving jar rubber seal (as a lamb ID collar)
- Webcam in the shed
- Toolbelt with lambing kit
- Lamb ID box
- Homemade lamb station
- Improved ewe identification
- Lambing data
- Cage to provide water to lambs
- Barrier to restrict the access of the lambs to their mothers
- Portable tray with material to manage newborn lambs
- Tripod to handle newborn lambs
- Multi-pocket belt to manage newborn lambs
- Lambing tool kit
- Pen labelling
- Lamb station
- Outdoor lamb recording bag
better labor organisation
less stress for the farmer
|Is the solution suitable for various production systems||Y|
|If no – for which system|
|What are the asset costs||<100|
|What are the maintenance costs|
|Any limits to its applicability|
|How much time is required to prepare and implement the solution||< 1 day|
|How many people is needed to implement the solution?||All workers in lambing time|
|How long it takes to get results?||>=1week|
|How long it takes to see an effect on sheep productivity?||current production period|
|What kind of equipment/tool are necessary?||Availability of trainers or ad hoc material||scanner|
|Does the solution need any specific skill/knowledge or training?||yes|
|How much time will be required for training||< 1 day|
|Is there any particular regulation link to the solution?||no|
|Does the solution need any particular structure or organisation?||no|