This post is also available in:
SCOPs information-including the nematodirus forecast
Solution name: SCOPs information- including the nematodirus forecast
Aim: To provide solutions for early detection and treatment of nematodirus
- SCOPs (Sustainable Control of Parasites) webpage contains a range of tools and information associated with the detection, control and treatment of various internal and external parasites.
- Tools of particular interest
- Nematodirus forecast (UK based)
- “Know your anthelmintics” publication
Animal Category: Lamb
Issue: Other internal parasitism (lambs)
Level of Solution: Knowledge/Practical
How to implement
Assess risk of nematodirus using the local weather forecast data and other information in conjunction with the grazing history of your farm. If treatment is required consult “Know your anthelmintics” guide and other literature available on the webpage.
Identifying when different groups of lambs are at risk of nematodirus. Forecast predicts nematodirus hatch date to allow appropriate action to be taken on farm. SCOPs also provides an overview of appropriate products available to use for treating nematodirus (as well as treatment options for other internal and external parasites).
Prerequisites and/or limits
- Main limiting factor, at the moment, is that this particular forecast is set up for the UK, although potentially could be adapted to allow implementation in other countries.
- Access to local weather data.
- Knowledge of grazing history.
- Farmers should be aware of how to administer treatment effectively.
- Good handling facilities.
Information Sources / Useful links
SCOPs web page – https://www.scops.org.uk/
Nematodirus forecast – https://www.scops.org.uk/forecasts/nematodirus-forecast/