This post is also available in:
Gastrointestinal parasite infection
Solution name: Gastrointestinal parasite infection
Aim: Decreasing the optimal life circumstance of worms and larves to avoid the critical infection
All around the world the internal parasites cause one of the biggest health issue that can cause economical loss as well.
- Most worms life circle is partly run on the grassland.
- Depending on the different climates, the larves and the eggs of worms on the pasture can survive shorter or longer period that can cause infection in the grazing flocks.
- Moister, high grass height, optimal temperature (5-20 C) can support a quick parasite infection and keep in high risk level of the reinfection of parasites.
- Important to know what parasite we have, Trichostrongilidae, Fasciola, Haemoncus
- Drug resistance population of parasites?
- Survival period of worm eggs and larves on the pasture under different climat during the year (huge differences between dry -hot and wet-cool regions)
- Different status = different solution
Production: Dairy / Meat
Animal Category: Adults/lambs/replacements
Issue: Internal parasites
Level of Solution: Knowledge, Practical
How to implement it
- Diagnosis (MacMaster chamber – Mini Flotac)
- Plan for prevention
- inside technology, base on hay and silage, partly on arable land
- grassland rotation
- reseeding the grass for grazing
- grassland resting during parasite incubation period
- grass cutting before hot period
- final solution is targeted drug treatment
- all farmers should focus on alternative solutions
- decreasing the drug resistance
- decreasing the serious infection
- cost reduction
- less serious infection
Prerequisites and/or limits
- easy the treatment
- low knowledge
- gap of advising
Tips & Tricks
It is a whole system but a lot small solution can be utilized by individuals:
- farm diagnosis, mini flotac
- farm specific grazing system setup