Lambs with joint ill
Solution name: Lambs with joint ill
Aim: Avoid the skeletal and joint disorders
- In Hungary, it causes higher losses mainly in lamb rearing. It develops through an open wound formed during an umbilical cord infection and possible tail shortening. Infection in lambs can be caused by several bacteria, which in chronic cases can cause painful purulent arthritis and movement problems. The latter symptoms can develop up to 2-3 weeks after infection.
Production: Dairy / Meat
Animal Category: Lamb
Issue: Lamb mortality
Level of Solution: Knowledge, Practical
How to implement it
Using a tail-curling gum can reduce the chances of developing an open wound, including infection.
Professional use of umbilical cord disinfectant (essential in both extensive and semi-intensive housing conditions).
- healthier, more homogeneous lambs,
- lower lamb mortality
- lower use of drugs
- more economical lamb fattening
Prerequisites and/or limits
- regular bedding
- hygienic housing conditions
Tips & Tricks
- In bigger farm, where more ewes are lambing at the same time, it may be a problem to follow umbilical cord disinfection (which one was done and which was not). Therefore it is advisable to use a material that leaves a mark. Even the iodine leaves mark, but if the lamb lies in the intestinal tract, we may not be able to make a definite decision based on its colour whether the disinfection has taken place or not.