This post is also available in:
• Some ewes have an excessively large teat that lambs do not want to suck (right teat in photo)
• The large teat gets larger as the udder fills with milk
• The teat could be hand milked. This is time consuming and may have to be done on many occasions
• Denying the lambs access to the preferred teat (left teat in photo) encourages them to suck the large (rejected) teat
• The large teat returns to normal size as milk is not allowed to accumulate
• Covering the small (preferred) teat with tape stops the lamb from sucking it and encourages them to suck the rejected teat.
• Remove tape after 24 hours