This post is also available in:
- Many farms have surplus lambs from large litters
- Ensure all lambs receive adequate colostrum
- Freezing colostrum in freezer bags (flat) will speed up time to defrost
- Feed the colostrum with a bottle and teat, mark the best feeders and move them to the artificial rearing unit
- Supplement with a high quality concentrate from one week of age
- Ad-lib feeders increase lamb growth rates, reduce stomach upsets and labour requirement compared to bottle feeding, feeding up to 25 lambs per feeder
- Automatic feeders can rear up to 250 lambs, mixes fresh milk as required and has the lowest labour requirement but the highest initial set up costs of all three options.